Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Rape in Entertainment

Shakesville has this great article on rape in entertainment, timely for me since the issue has been on my mind more prominently. It's very much worth a read and has links to articles written on similar issues.

Just while thinking about this - there's a lot of internet hyperbole I feel uncomfortable using. I don't like to use words of violence against others - not even that popular one, DIAF - although I have used it (I wrote it in a couple of entries below this one, in regards the whole rapist footballer thing - and TBH, I struggled over leaving it in) - the few times I've gone to write it I've felt discomfited and have usually deleted and changed to something less violent. I feel the same way about saying "I hate" in regards to an actual person, although again I have said it, rarely meaning the ACTUAL person, but their behaviour that angered me. I am trying to consciously change this tic most people have to be less personal.

One thing I can't use, have never used, is internet hyperbole that refers to sexual violence - "x is like being butt-fucked". Of course, butt-fucked is not the same as saying butt-raped, but it's always used to indicate an... awful experience, which to me also implies violence and non-consent. I have always been discomfited by the very casual and widespread use of such expressions on the net. I understand nothing is really meant by them, but that in itself bothers me - that expressions of sexual violence are being used without considered thought.

Hurm.

No comments: